Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Stick With What You Do Best

One of the lessons I have heard over and over again as a photographer is, "Develop your own style, your own niche in photography.  Don't try to be a generalist."




I spent the past weekend with some amazingly talented photographers.  Many of them are excellent at making images of the streams and rapids found in the Smokies.  And, you can tell that they love making those images.  They can spend an entire day going from river to river.




I spent some time with them on the river.  However, my photography style just doesn't lend itself to that genre.  I made some pictures which I like (above is one example), but most of the time I found myself shooting away from the water.  I found other smaller scenes to be of more interest to me.

It is good that we are not all exactly alike.



The same is true of our spiritual gifts.  One of my friends and I talked about that this weekend.  As an educator I saw many people in the classroom who knew that teaching was what they were called to do.  Those men and women were excellent teachers.  They loved what they were doing.  There was a contentment in their lives.  I also saw a few teachers who were always miserable!  They had not yet figured out that they were not called to be a teacher. Theirs was a life of discontent and often a lot of grumbling.

Life is going to be better for us if we find the career, the service opportunities, the situations that fit who we are.

Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit.
1 Corinthians 12:4

No comments:

Post a Comment