Friday, February 20, 2015

Make Today a Gift

 
 
One of my favorite places to visit and take photographs is the Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill, Kentucky.  This historical site was once the home to over 400 followers of the Shaker faith.  Not only do I find multiple scenes to photograph, but also I find a great peace and solace there.  There is just something about that place that calms and restores me.
 
 
 
 
The Shakers were men and women of great faith.  One of their tenants of faith was that all things you do are acts of worship.  There is an old Shaker saying, "A man can show his religion as much in measuring onion as he can in singing hallelujah." Therefore they worshipped as they worked.  Whether making brooms, growing crops, or cooking a meal, they were in worship.
 
 
 
In the multiple buildings of Shaker Village there are thousands of pegs.  These simple pegs line the walls of almost every room.  They were used to hang clothing, foods, and even furniture.  Each peg was made by a member of the community.  And, each peg, when it was completed, was offered as a gift to God.  I find that most encouraging to me as I walk through my days.  I too should seek to make every thing I do an offering to Him who created me.
 
 
 
 
How blessed are those who observe His testimonies,
Who seek Him with all their heart.
Psalms 119:2



 
As you walk through this day, seek to see Him, seek to offer all that you do as a gift to Him.
 
Make me understand the way of Your precepts,
So I will meditate on Your wonders.
Psalms 119:27



No comments:

Post a Comment