Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Who Do I Believe?

The naïve believes everything,
But the sensible man considers his steps.
Proverbs 14:14
 
 
Last week I watched an online video photography class by an "internationally renowned" wedding photographer.  One of the things he said that stood out to me was, "I always shoot at 1.8, maybe 4."
Now I know that may not mean much to some of you so let me explain.  Those numbers are related to how much light the camera allows to flow through the lens and onto the sensor.  They also affect how much of the picture is in focus.  Look at the picture of my daughter's bridal bouquet.  The flowers are in focus but her hands are a little fuzzy.  That's 1.8.


f1.8

So, after watching that class, I decided to watch another "internationally renowned" wedding photographer.  Guess what?  He sets his camera at 11!  That is very different from 1.8.  Look at the picture below of the Civil War reenactor.  Not only in he in focus, but also the flag behind him is in focus.  That would not have happened at 1.8.

f11
 
 
So what am I to do?  I want to be a better portrait photographer.  I want to learn from these famous, and very talented professionals.  Who do I believe? 

I also take a lot of landscape pictures.  I have read some articles saying always shoot landscapes at f22.  Others say f13 or even f11.  But wait, that's for portraits!  Or is it?

f22

In photography, just like in all of life, I must consider everything and then decide for myself what is right and what is not right.  I have to evaluate every scene, every person, and then choose an aperture setting. Sometimes that will be f1.8, sometimes it will be f11. I have to choose what I think is right.







No comments:

Post a Comment