Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Learning to Be Content

 
 
A photography friend recently posted that he went to a location expecting to shoot a certain kind of photograph and instead shot something totally different.  That should never surprise a photographer.  When you go to a location you want great light, great lines, great texture, great something! But, you are not in control. For photography to being an enjoyable venture the photographer must learn to take what the scene, the weather, the situation gives them.  In other words, be ready to make lemonade no matter what.
 
 
 
I went to the beach this morning.  The first picture above is what I could have expected or longed for.  The second picture is what I got.  Flat sky, flat water, flat sand.  None of those are particularly exciting to photograph. So what was I to do?  Go moping home empty handed?  Complain? Kick sand in someone's face? None of those would have made my day any better.  Besides, kicking sand in someone's face could be dangerous to my health.
 
I had a choice.  Let my day be ruined or see if I could find something to challenge me as a photographer.  Granted, I knew I would not make spectacular images on this beach today. But, I could still look for line, texture, and composition. 
 
I chose to have a good time.  To be content.
 
Not that I speak from want for I have learned
to be content in whatever circumstances I am.
Philippians 4:11
 
 
Here's what I came home with.
 
 
 
Although I am not 100% there, I am learning to live by Paul's words.  I hope you can find contentment in your day as well.





No comments:

Post a Comment