Monday, March 16, 2015

Life Lesson from a Four Year Old

Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength;
They will mount up with wings like eagles,
They will run and not get tired,
They will walk and not become weary.
Isaiah 40:31
 
 
Every year we spend time at the beach with some or all of our family.  It is a wonderful time of enjoying the beach with our grandchildren.
 
Our grandson has always been an early riser.  I'm talking before 6:00 a.m. riser! To allow his mom and dad to sleep in, I started taking long walks with him on the beach early in the morning. We would look at the waves, watch the sunrise, and of course pick up sea shells.  One of his favorite types of shells were the small colorful Coquina shells.  He called them butterflies.
 
 
 
One morning, when he was four, he taught me a very profound life lesson.  Because he stopped to examine every shell he saw, I soon got a good distance ahead of him.  Suddenly he shouted, "Slow down Papa, you're missing the butterflies!" 
 
Wow! I did need to slow down.  Not just at the beach, but in everything I do in life.  There is so much to see and experience in life, why rush through it?
 
 
Today I got to walk on the beach again with my grandson who is now ten.  We looked at the waves, watched the sunrise, and picked up shells, and even saw dolphins.  And, I promise, I went slow and tried to not miss the butterflies!
 
 
Spend some time in your day looking for the "butterflies".  You won't regret it.





1 comment: