Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Clinging to the Past





 
 
I love to photograph Americana.  That's right, I enjoy taking pictures of old stuff!  It always seems to have so much character, so much depth, so much history.  I find myself wondering about the people that once used the objects and places I am photographing.
 
 
 
 
Perhaps some of us cling to the past a little too much.  But, change is hard!  I had a friend comment recently that she almost didn't make a major career change because the idea of change was so unsettling.  She did change and I am sure the rewards will be great.
 





Some churches are slow to change. They cling to the past.  They only sing the same hymns, they only read from the same Bible translation, they cling to the trappings of religion.  And, sadly, they diminish and die. 

My daughter had a coach who said, "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been."  There is truth in that.

Now don't get me wrong. I love tradition.  I love the old hymns. My point is we must not cling to those things of the past and refuse to change.

Do not call to mind the former things,
Or ponder things of the past.
Isaiah 43:18

1 comment: