Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Don't Be Led Astray


No, that is not the photograph I set out to make.  Does it even look like a key?  Of course not.

When I visited the United States Military Academy recently I had the privilege of seeing the Cadet Chapel.  It is a beautiful building constructed in 1910.

While we were there we talked with the organist.  He had just played for three weddings held in the chapel that day.  He showed us the key to the front door.  Yep. I asked if I could photograph the key.

Taking a photograph of the key required a very long exposure because there was not lot of light in the chapel.  I had a tripod so that was not a problem.  I decided to take more that one picture just to be sure.

The image above does however demonstrate that I had a problem.  Just after I pressed the shutter release to begin the second long exposure another employee of the chapel walked by and picked up the key that I had so very carefully placed in front of my lens.  Kodak (or in this case Fuji) moment gone!  In frustration I picked up my camera and began to walk away.  However, the camera was still taking a picture. That is the picture above.

Here is the first picture I took.



The two are quite different.  One is exactly what I wanted to do, the other is a total mess!

Life can be like that.  We start out on the right path, doing what we rightly chose to do.  Then someone or something comes along to influence us and take us totally away from where we were going or what we were doing.  The result is often like the first picture, a total mess!

I must learn to keep myself on the right path regardless of the world's influences.

You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand,
be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the 
error of unprincipled men
and fall from your own steadfastmess.
2 Peter 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment